Samir Bhowmik w/ 00100 ENSEMBLE
Memory Machines, a series of performative tours opened on 11 January 2019 at Oodi Helsinki Central Library. The events are part of “The Library’s Other Intelligences” commissioned by the Finnish Cultural Institute of New York and organised by Mobius Fellowship Program. The curators of the project are Jussi Parikka (University of Southampton, Winchester School of Art, UK) and Shannon Mattern (New School, New York, US). The other Finnish artists involved in the project are Tuomas Laitinen (Swarm Chorus) and Jenna Sutela (nimiia ïzinibimi).
Memory Machines explores the infrastructure of the Helsinki Central Library. The experimental work combines dance, theatre and circus with a guided tour that moves through the concealed infrastructural sites and operations of the building. This unique journey traverses places of climate control to power management, from checkout terminals to data centers, from automation to distribution and storage. As a visual performance, the work aims to interrogate the ecology of machines and the situated interactions between humans and technology. How do the flows of data, heat, matter and energy sustain cultural memory? What intelligences and futures could be uncovered in the machines and bodies that labor within the monument of the library?
The first series of performative tours were held on Friday 11.1, Saturday 12.1. & Sunday 13.1., all sold out events . A Press event was also organised on Wednesday 9.1. In total, over 100 participants experienced the work. Participants included artists, curators, architects, designers, museum workers, and librarians from the cultural field, besides also the general audience of Oodi.
The project has received critical acclaim from experts in various cultural fields including FRAME Contemporary Art Finland, as well as praise from the participating audience. Read artist Eero Yli-Vakkuri’s excellent review here: https://eero.storijapan.net/docfolio/20190118-2/
Memory Machines has been video-documented by artist Hannu Karjalainen: http://www.hannukarjalainen.com
See the amazing work of 00100 ENSEMBLE: 00100ensemble.com
Artists: Henna Tanskanen, Onni Hämäläinen & Sade Risku
Curators of “The Library’s Other Intelligences”:
- Jussi Parikka: https://jussiparikka.net/2018/12/22/librarys-other-intelligences-opens/
- Shannon Mattern: http://wordsinspace.net/shannon/the-librarys-other-intelligences-mobius-fellowship-with-the-finnish-cultural-institute-ny-2017-19/
Read more about the “The Library’s Other Intelligences”:
- Finnish Cultural Institute of New York: http://fciny.org/projects/the-librarys-other-intelligences
- Oodi / Kirjaston tekoälyt: https://www.oodihelsinki.fi/event/helmet:177131/mobius-the-librarys-other-intelligencies/
- Helmet Libraries / Kirjaston tekoälyt: http://www.helmet.fi/fi-FI/Kirjastot_ja_palvelut/Keskustakirjasto_Oodi/Juttuja_kirjastosta/Kirjaston_tekoalyt(173538)