SAMIR BHOWMIK CV
Male / 25.03.1975 India / Citizen of Finland since 2013. Puistokaari 7 A12
00200 Helsinki Finland
Phone: +358 400 410 877
Education and Degrees
- Doctor of Arts, Media Lab, Aalto University School of Arts, Design & Architecture, Finland. 2011 – 2016. Studies completed and Approved for Public Defense: 02.12.2016. Kone Foundation Grant, July 2015 – June 2016. Awarded December 2014. Doctoral Dissertation: Deep Time of the Museum / The Materiality of Media Infrastructures. Doctoral Committee: Jussi Parikka (University of Southampton, UK), Garnet Hertz (Emily Carr University of Art and Design, Vancouver) & Lily Diaz-Kommonen (Aalto University School of Arts, Design & Architecture).
- Master of Architecture, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, United States of America. 2001-2003. Graduated May 2003.
- Bachelor of Architecture, BVB College of Engineering and Technology, Hubli, Karnataka, India. 1994-1999. Graduated June 1999.
- English: Fluent reading, speaking and writing.
- Finnish: Level 4 reading, speaking and writing (successfully completed National Certificates of LanguageProficiency Exam (Yleiset kielitutkinnot/Opetushallitus) 2013 for Finnish Citizenship.
- Bengali: Mother tongue.
- Visiting Researcher at Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum, New York, USA: Examining an energy-efficient framework for the future of open digital collections 2014 – 2016. Initial Energy Data studies completed: May – June 2014. Collation of data and writing: July 2014 – March 2016. Museum Energy Model Interface (MEMI) Project: July 2014 – on hold.
- Pixelache Helsinki (pixelache.ac): conducting experimental research projects such as Ferment Lab 2015 (fermentation and energy), Trashlab 2011- (recycling and reuse of e-waste) and Community Energy Bank 2016 – (recycling Lithium-ion batteries to build community power banks).
Kone Foundation Grant, July 2015 – June 2016. Awarded December 2014, for doctoral dissertation: Deep Time of the Museum / The Materiality of Media Infrastructures (Previous working title: Powering the Shareable Museum: A participatory and sustainable framework for museums and their user communities).
Doctoral Studies Design Interventions
- Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum: Research studies and design with collections, media infrastructure and design heritage. May 2014 – March 2016. Museum Energy Model Interface (MEMI) Project: July 2014 – on hold.
- Gallen-Kallela Museum: Digitizing small sized GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) into Culture Commons with Local Communities, 2013 – 2014, funded by Aalto Media Factory (AMF); a collaborative project between Systems of Representation Research Group, Media Lab, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Aalto Science and Gallen-Kallela Museum. Project Website: http:// sysrep.aalto.fi/digglam/
- Light Is History: A community-participated museum Installation in Hakaniementori (Hakaniemi Market Square), Helsinki. January 1 – 1 December 2012. In collaboration with Karthikeya Acharya, Doctoral Researcher, Department of Design, Aalto University and Pixelversity / Pixelache. Project supported by Aalto Media Factory (AMF) January 2012 – December 2012.
Digital Strategies for Museums & Cultural Heritage, 3 credits, Autumn 2014 (DOM E-5064) – ongoing Department of Media, Aalto University School of Arts Design & Architecture. The course presents a theoretical and practical overview of digital strategies for museums and cultural heritage. Participants develop museum digital projects supported by how-to lectures in a ‘make’ environment.
Course website: http://digitalmuseum.mlog.taik.fi
2014: Must-Ache Project: https://mustacheproject14.wordpress.com 2015: EMMA Espoo Museum of Modern Art: http://tinyurl.com/zs8mq9s 2016: Design Museum Finland
Masters Thesis Supervision
Sara Confalonieri, Autumn 2016: “Remix Party” / Master of Arts in Visual Communication Design, Department of Media, Aalto University School of Arts Design & Architecture.
Museum Research Talks / Presentations / Workshops
- Turku Museum Center (Turunmuseokeskus) Finland, 24 November 2015: Invited Talk about Media Strategies for Cultural Heritage.
- National Board of Antiquities (Museovirasto) Finland, Teemapäivät 2014, 11 -12 September 2014 : Invited talk and presentation of Haloo Akseli project.
- MuseumNext Conference 2014 Newcastle-Gateshead, UK 18 -20 June, 2014: Invited talk and presentation about Light is History Project in Helsinki.
- NODEM (Nordic Digital Excellence in Museums) Conference 1 – 3 Dec, 2013 Stockholm Sweden. Invited Talk & presentation: Building Sustainable Practices for Museums.
- Digital Heritage International Congress 2013, 28 Oct – 1 Nov. 2013 Marseille, France
- MuseumNext Conference 2013, 12 – 14 May. 2013 Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Inclusive Museum Conference 2013, 22 – 24 April. 2013 Copenhagen, Denmark: Paper presentation:Light is History: A Community Participated Museum Installation in Helsinki Finland.
- Modern Identities Conference: Ateneum Art Museum, Helsinki, Finland 2012 12 October. Presenteddoctoral research plan.
- Ecomuseums Conference 2012 19 – 21 September, Seixal, Portugal: Museums by Communities:Exploration of a New Digital and Spatial Framework for Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- Trans-disciplinary Arts, Ethnography and Cultural Heritage Workshop, 24 – 26 May 2012, Aizpute, Latvia: Community participated museum for a local weavers association.
- Talking Trash(lab) Workshop and Lecture Series: Organizer in collaboration with Pixelache / Pixelversity Helsinki and Karthikeya Acharya ( Department of Design, Aalto University). Topics and content related to recycling and reusing e-waste.
- ESF-LiU Conference, Sweden: Re-Visiting The Contact Zone: Museums, Theory, Practice, 17 – 21 July 2011: Post-Oil Museum: Imagining museums beyond oil.
List of Publications
A1 Peer-reviewed Scientific Articles
- Bhowmik, Samir and Lily Diaz. “Hot Stones and Cool Digitals: A Sustainable Contact Zone forIntangible Cultural Heritage in Finland.” International Journal of Intangible Cultural Heritage vol.11.
- Bhowmik, Samir, Karthikeya Acharya and Lily Diaz. “Light is History: A Community ParticipatedMuseum Installation in Helsinki.” The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum 6, no. 1. 2013: 145-157.
- Bhowmik, Samir, James Reilly, Lily Diaz and Agusti Pellicer. “Infrastructuring Digitization forEphemeral Heritage.” Journal of Computing and Cultural Heritage, Issue 1. 2017. (submitted: April 28, 2016; resubmission requested: August 5, 2016).
A4 Article in a Conference Publication
Acharya, Karthikeya, Samir Bhowmik, and Jussi Mikkonen. “Light is History.” In the Proceedings of the Fifth Nordic Design Research Conference. Nordes 2013: Experiments in Design Research. Eva Brandt, P. E., Troels Degn Johansson, M. H. R. & Thomas Markussen, A. V. (eds.). Copenhagen: KUNSTAKADEMIETS ARKITEKTSKOLES FORLAG: 511-513.
D1 Article in a Trade Journal
Bhowmik, Samir. “The Parametric Museum: Integrating a Museum’s Building Information Model with its Digital Collections. Journal of National Institute of Building Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 3 (June 2015): 12-16.
Previous Work Experience
- Doctoral Candidate (salaried) Systems of Representation Research Group, Media Lab, Aalto University School of Arts Design & Architecture. January 2013 – June 2015
- Architect’s Office Jukka Turtiainen Oy, Espoo, Finland. Architect 2009 – 2012 (part-time)
- ALA Architects Ltd., Helsinki, Finland. Project Architect 2008 – 2009.
- Division 1 Architects, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. Project Architect 2003 – 2007
- EEK Ltd, Washington DC – New York. Intern Architect 2003
- Schick Goldstein Architects, Washington DC, USA. Intern Architect 2001 – 2002
- Architect SAFA (Finnish Association of Architects 8469, 2009) Finland
- Architect AIA (American Institute of Architects + AIA Washington DC)
- Registered Architect / State of Maryland and NCARB registered (all 50 states of USA)
Museums, Digital Cultural Heritage, Museum ICT, Building Information Modeling, Open Energy Dialogue, Cloud Communities, Participatory Community Design, Intangible Cultural Heritage, Media Art Installations.
- Lily Diaz-Kommonen, Head of Research, Media Lab (Supervisor): email@example.com
- Tuija Wahlroos, Director, Gallen-Kallela Museum, Finland: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sebastian Chan, Ex-Director of Digital & Emerging Media of the Cooper-Hewitt Labs, SmithsonianDesign Museum, New York: email@example.com / Currently Chief Experience Officer at the Australian Centre
for the Moving Image, Melbourne, Australia.