+ Bio + Media + Press
Samir Bhowmik is a Helsinki-based multi-disciplinary artist, architect and scholar. He received a Doctor of Arts (2016) (Art & Design) from Aalto University, Finland, and a Master of Architecture (2003) from the University of Maryland, United States. Samir’s artistic research project Black Ecologies: Performing Art in the Extraction Zone at the Academy of Fine Arts (Uniarts Helsinki) explores extractivism & ecology through film, installation and performance. His recent performative project ‘Lost Islands’ was part of the Helsinki Biennial 2021. In 2020, Bhowmik collaborated with American artist Lenore Malen in the performance film project “Where From Here” that explored virtuality and ecology in the time of pandemic. In 2021, he collaborated with Dr. Jussi Parikka for ‘Paperwork of Energy’ in the Turkish Pavilion (Architecture as Measure) for the Venice Architecture Biennale 2021.
Samir teaches *'Ecological Thinking: On Extractivism'* in the Doctoral Program at the Academy of Fine Arts, and mentors Masters students in the areas of new media, art and the environment. In 2021, Samir led a lecture -workshop on ‘Media Cultures of Extraction’ as part of an Art-Science-Ecology course commissioned by IHME Helsinki. Since 2019, Samir serves on the Editorial Board of Journal of Media Art Study and Theory at the State University of New York. He has published articles on media, ecology, art and performance in several international journals (including Leonardo - MIT Press) and received continuous funding since 2015 from the Finnish Cultural Foundation and the Kone Foundation.
MEDIA + PRESS
[Mentions arranged by Date of Publication]
JULY - DEC 2021
- Artnet. 23 September 2021. “How Can Artists Explore New Technologies While Grappling With Sustainability?” https://news.artnet.com/multimedia/artnet-presents-panel-discussion-helsinki-biennial-facebook-open-arts-2012848
- Monocle. Petri Burtsoff. “Island Inspiration.” Issue No.145. June 2021. https://monocle.com/magazine/issues/145/island-inspiration/
JAN - MAY 2021
- E-Flux. “Helsinki Biennial: The Same Sea.” 15 May 2021. https://www.e-flux.com/announcements/393339/helsinki-biennialthe-same-sea/
- Helsingin Sanomat. 10 March 2020. https://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/art-2000006433955.html
- Mustekala. 28 February 2019. http://mustekala.info/kritiikit/kun-kirjasto-lukee-meita/